Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Taking 'it' with you, sort of . . .

One of the reasons people are flocking to Panama is for an affordable retirement. With prices quite low compared to what we are used to in North America and Europe, it is easier to maintain a comfortable lifestyle as we prepare to ride off into that final sunset. I know we can't take 'it' with us when we go on to the next world, whatever 'it' means to each of us, but for those of us who prefer a saddle over riding bareback, perhaps we might be allowed to saddle our apocalyptic mount with one of the Panamanian saddles pictured above. I asked the proprietor of the saddlery the price of the saddles shown and he said $105.00. That can't be right, can it? I had him repeat the sum for me, and I'm sure that's what he said. How much are similar saddles where you live? They are at least five times that amount here in Ontario, I think.

Of course, I would rather saddle up a horse of flesh and blood, rather than a phantom steed assigned to take me to my just reward, so I would look to purchase a suitable mount in Panama. One of the horses shown here, near Cerro Punta, would likely serve my purpose just fine.

While riding my horse in the warm Panamanian sun, I might have need of some cool refreshment. How about an ice cream cone for 25 cents, as advertised on the sign above? Sounds good to me. My friends in Boquete were complaining that ice cream cones had gone up from 25 cents to 35 cents at one of the local hangouts. What a shame!

A dollar goes a long way in Panama. The line forms over there.

No comments: